Monday, February 9, 2009

A-Rod Admits

Today, Alex Rodriguez admitted to using performance enhancing drugs from 2001 until 2003, while he was with the Texas Rangers. ESPN has the news.

In 2001, he said there was an "enormous amount of pressure" to perform with such high standards. Rodriguez signed a 10-year, $252 million contract after the 2000 season, so it is no wonder why A-Rod would feel the heat.

"I had just signed this enormous contract I felt like I needed something, a push, without over-investigating what I was taking, to get me to the next level."

Rodriguez told ESPN's Peter Gammons about his prior steroid abuse.

"I did take a banned substance. For that, I am very sorry and deeply regretful," Rodriguez said to Gammons.

Additionally, Rodriguez states that in the five seasons with the Yankees, they "have been clean."

I congratulate Alex Rodriguez for coming out and admitting his usage. He took the honorable path and apologized for his wrongdoings.

This still will affect the way people see him, but what people should see is his honor and honesty. He did not lie to anyone (except Katie Couric) but he said what he did was wrong.

No comments: